Sunday, December 3, 2017

Beacon in Tuscany: A Reflection of My Experience

















Lianne Smith

A home away from home is something that you are lucky to experience. I think I've found a community that has bettered me with all of its culture. This semester has definitely been a jump off a cliff for me. I have been traveling for a significant chunk of my life but this was different.


Different cultures are exciting to me and I enjoy delving in, but this was the first time I have had to travel this far away by self. It has been a long learning experience. I don't regret my decision of applying for this program. It is something I never saw myself doing but I'm glad I did. I learned a lot about myself and how I react in situations where I'm the only one who can help myself. I will definitely cherish all the memories and friends I have made. Learning a new language has proved to be a happy struggle. I went from only knowing "Ciao Bella
"
"to finding my way through several conversations and situations, using Google translate less and less. I can walk into a cafe and say:


 - Table for one, two, etc. = Tavolo per una, due, etc.

 - I don’t eat pork = Non mangio il maiale.

 - Non-sparkling water please = Acqua narturale, per favore

AND

- I’m allergic to soy and peanuts = Sono allergico alla soia e alle arachidi.


 I think my most memorized thing to say so far is when I am ordering pizza from Pizland, which is my final meal in Prato.

- Posso avere pizza Margherita, tanto mozzarella, e ben cotta, per favore. = Can I get a Margherita pizza, extra mozzarella, and well done please.



This experience is going down as one of my most memorable periods of my life. Being able to spend it with my best friend/co-author, Jeunesse, and build relationships with classmates that were only acquaintances when we left Leesburg was awesome. I couldn’t have hoped for a better semester both academically and emotionally. For one last time,

To you, with love, From Prato 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Right Way to Kick Off My Senior Year

While I participated in the study abroad program, I continued to grow into a beautiful young lady. This experience was awesome; I met n...